Background

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

When you’ve got limes, make limeade

I LOVE LIMES!  The flavor, especially in the summer, is one I can’t get enough on.  There are so many uses you might not have even thought of.  We marinate chicken in lime juice, squeeze it over tortilla chips, or simply drop it in a glass of ice water.  My good friend Emily has introduced me to yet another use that I thought you might want to try as well. 
I keep limes in my kitchen almost all the time.  Today I noticed they were starting to turn brown and if I didn’t use them I was going to lose them (and I sure didn’t want to do that) so I made limeade. 


I have made fresh limeade before with limes, sugar, and water which is quicker and easier.  So, if you don't have time for this recipe you can make it that way.  However, it seemed there was something missing until I tried this recipe. 
Ingredients:  Limes, Sugar, Water, Club soda

Step 1:  Simply take your limes and squeeze them.  As you can see I used a simple, cheap juicer.  I don’t have anything electronic and fancy like you see on Barefoot Contessa.  (Although that would be a good gift idea.  Anyone?  Anyone?)  You need at least one cup of juice and then set it to the side.
Step 2:  On the stovetop over medium heat mix 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of water.  Stir continuously until sugar is dissolved which will be about 5 minutes.  Drop in the limes or their peeling for added intensity. 
Step 3:  Immediately turn the heat up and bring to boil.  As soon as the mixture starts to boil turn down the heat to a simmer and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Then remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture slightly cool. 
Step 4:  After the mixture has cooled, add the lime juice.  Place in the refrigerator until completely cooled, approximately 3 hours. 
Step 5:  Take the mixture out of the refrigerator and mix with ½ liter of club soda.  Sip and enjoy!


Options:  You can substitute the limes/lime juice with lemon or even orange. 


Other options:  You can change the ratio to make a larger batch; 3 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, 2 cups of juice, and 1 liter of club soda. 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog and I loved this recipe. We made it tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete