Background

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

On The Road Again

“On the road again
I just can’t wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again”

On the road again for a five hour drive to our next destination, Savannah, Georgia.  A trip to Savannah was not in our original plan.  However, when I started looking at the route from Carrollton to Jekyll Island I noticed that we were driving right past Savannah, so why not stop.  I adjusted our schedule and we made a bypass through Savannah for a night and a day which was definitely not enough.

Since Brandon and I are so busy I always enjoy our time in the car.  It’s a time we are guaranteed to be together.  I thought we might spice this time together up with the book I bought from the used bookstore.  We’re both pretty competitive so why not raise the stakes and make it a game.  I cracked open Battle of the Sexes and started firing questions at Brandon.  Then I would pass him the book for my turn.  It was super fun to see what the other one knew about the opposite sex.  We had many laughs and it came down to the wire but the winner was . . . ME!  (I win most games we play.) 








There was another noteworthy picture taken on the way back to our hotel after supper.  A man on the opposite side of the street caught my attention because he had something very large draped around his neck.  Despite my nearly perfect eyesight (thanks Lasik) I could not tell what it was so I pointed it out to B.  He immediately answered with very convincing confidence,
“It’s a snake.” 
“A WHAT?  No, it’s not!” I answered with just as much confidence.
At that time the man crossed the street to be within 20 feet of us and yes it was an extremely large yellow snake.  I did ask before I took the picture.  It was an albino python named Peaches.  As soon as I took the picture the man shoved the snake in the backpack in his hand and made the comment,
“You never know what’s in a backpack.”
I bet you won’t look at a backpack in the same way again.  I sure won’t. 



We were drawn to the wooden checkerboards in the lobby when we arrived back at our hotel after supper.  What better way to end the night than by beating B again!


The next morning, we were encouraged to start the day out with a Trolley tour to introduce ourselves to the city, so we jumped on.  The tour was a great introduction but also made me realize this one day was not enough time to explore and experience this charming city.  I could go on and on about everywhere we went but I’m just going to give you the highlights of what we liked best.

Trolley Tour – An extremely inexpensive way to see Savannah’s historic district at only $15 per person.

Lunch at Mrs. Wilkes Dining Room – A unique Savannah experience but get in line early or you might not get in.


Chippewa Square – The historic district is made up of 24 squares but this particular one is the location of the box of chocolate scene from Forrest Gump.


Savannah Bee Company – The fresh honeycomb was worth the price but you also must try the mint honey limeade is a must



River Street Candy Shops – Both the chocolate and traditional pralines did not disappoint.



Leopold’s Ice Cream - Opened since 1935, recently rated one of the top 10 ice cream shops.  We loved the traditional coke float!



 

Mercer House – The location of the novel Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt.


Upside down windows – in the grand scheme of things an extremely small blip on the historical scale of Savannah.  However, I found it extremely interesting.  The house was ordered from Sears and Roebuck Co. and was put together per directions sent along with the house which instructed the owner to put the windows on upside down. 



Andrew Lowe Mansion – This is the home of the girl scout founder and first girl scout meeting.  Come to find out there are a lot of “firsts” that occurred in Savannah. 



Now, I'm ready to turn around and go back.  But we must move on to Jekyll Island, Georgia.  Finally, we're going to get to the beach!!!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment