Background

Monday, February 27, 2012

What We're Reading About Adoption


I’m a bookworm . . . and proud to be.  My favorite thing in my house is the bookshelves which are getting close to capacity.  As I have mentioned in a previous post about my magazine tear out organization system, I have found that the majority of the pages I tear out in relation to decorating include bookshelves.  While, I love my Kindle, there is nothing like the smell of pages spilling over with words bound together for me to get lost in.  And what's even better is gazing at a bookshelf full of options.  So naturally, when we first started discussing adoption I couldn’t find a book fast enough.  I must confess I went to a book rather than running first to God’s Word.  However, I’m so thankful for the author who sent me to the Word for the truth about adoption.  This, God's Word, is where we all need to start.  

I do want to throw out this disclaimer.  Just because these books may focus on the topic of adoption DOES NOT mean they are only for those of you interested in possibly adopting or have adopted. 



This first book (and so far my favorite) is Adopted for Life by Russell Moore.  Dr. Russell Moore is a professor at Southern Seminary in Louisville, Kentucky and father of two adopted boys from Russia.  I honestly don’t feel comfortable trying to sum up this book because I know that my words will not do it justice.  What I do feel comfortable saying is that Russell Moore is very real and transparent about his experience with adoption but very faithful to laying a foundation for biblical adoption.  Just to give you a sneak peek, the first chapter is entitled “Adoption, Jesus, and You: Why You Should Read This Book, Especially If You Don’t Want to”.  He states within the first few pages,

“Adoption is, on the one hand, gospel.  In this, adoption tells us who we are as children of the Father.  Adoption as gospel tells us about our identity, our inheritance, and our mission as sons of God.  Adoption is also defined as mission.  In this, adoption tells us our purpose in this age as the people of Christ.  Missional adoption spurs us to join Christ in advocating for the helpless and the abandoned.  As soon as you peer into the truth of one aspect, you fall headlong into the truth of the other, and vice versa.”                             

Also in the first chapter he encourages a larger perspective of adoption. 

“Adoption is not just about couples who want children—or who want more children.  
Adoption is about an entire culture within our churches, a culture that sees adoption as part of our Great Commission mandate and as a sign of the gospel itself.”

B and I are so thankful for Dr. Moore’s teaching and encouragement.  Our perspective and understanding of this journey in our life has grown so much beyond simply a way to grow our family.    


The second book I want to mention is Orphanology by Tony Merida and Rick Morton.  The book starts out providing a description of how our adoption into God’s family as believers compares to the adoption of children on this earth.  Orphanology is a more practical approach filled with suggestions for churches, small groups, etc. for orphan care.  Personal stories of adoption written firsthand are also sprinkled throughout the book. 

There are several more that we have read, several more we have bought and added to our “to read” pile, and several more that I want to purchase so I can add them to my “to read” pile.  Regardless if you think you may adopt or not, take the time to learn more because it truly affects us all!  

“Adoption was an expression in our lives of the gospel in our hearts.” (David Platt)
         
“The gospel and adoption are beautifully woven together by the gracious hand of God.”       (David Platt) 

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I love Orphanology. I felt like it was so practical and helpful. I am going to read Adopted for Life next.

    ReplyDelete